7.20.2005

Voodoo Dolls and Playing Cards

Criss Angel is an illusionist with a new show on A&E called “Mindfreak.” It’s the first weekly TV magic series in over 40 years. Go figure.

Angel is sort of Bam Margera crossed with Trent Reznor, and the tricks showcased on the first couple episodes of his show are a lot like those of fellow illusionist David Blaine. Like Blaine, Angel has taken his magic to the street, yo. We assume that’s because its way more fun to freak out innocent bystanders than it is paying customers. And while Blaine may be more mysterious, Angel is more likeable. His illusions are elaborate and effective brain teasers that will leave you scratching your head in hopes unlocking their secrets. It can’t be easy to make a total stranger levitate or to burn someone’s arm by putting a lighter beneath a voodoo doll.

On “Mindfreak,” Angel takes classic illusions into the modern age, and his metal-dude-from-New Jersey looks and his taking-it-to-the-people approach are a winning combo. Despite all this, the show still manages to be pretty cheesy, due primarily to the fact that Angel insists on performing the show’s music and theme song himself. Just because Jonathan Davis produced it, doesn’t mean it’s good. In fact, it’s probably the opposite. And why not just join a rock band instead? We assume people only take up magic as a last gasp at being cool getting laid –- and surely chicks dig guitars more than playing cards. But if you like those David Blaine specials — or buff, hunky, goth dudes, you’ll probably dig this.

“Mindfreak” airs on Wednesdays at 10 p.m. on A&E.

.........................................................................................................................................

27 comments:

1. christine says:

That comment about “We assume people only take up magic as a last gasp at being cool getting laid” isn’t accurate, yea sure he’s a guy, but i don’t think thats his main priority, because he comes off as so focused on defying reality…and i don’t think his show is cheesy, i think his main intro and theme is extremly creative, and his affinity to make music is great! I love ya Criss!

2. NINA MOYA says:

CRISS ANGEL FUCKING ROCKS!!!
    Ya’ll SUCK, YOUR JUST JEALOUS!!!

3. sittingFAN♥4u says:

OH MAN! i was just in Vegas for a week and for the first 2 nights i stayed on the 30th floor @ the luxor and i saw Criss Angel and all his sexyness outside of his awesome suite!!! it was so exciting. i didn;t go over there because they were busy filming and editing out what they wanted and didn’t want. i saw the side of his face and he was on a stool pointing at the small screen. all dressed in a suit and dark♥ i really wish i could have talked to him. i ran into his crew and people that do the show with him on the elevator. one guy had snake bites and he had awesome hair and HE WAS HOT TOO. i just can’t believe he was right there, but i might as well have been all the way back home in washington state because i didn’t meet him, likely never will. ♥♥♥

4. sittingFAN♥4u says:

i was 2 doors down from his room. and i heard from the sexy guy with the snake bites that he will most likely be staying there for like 15 yrs. maybe i’ll meet him if he just stays there. i bought a sweatshirt that says mindfreak and haven’t taken it off yet. it just drives me crazy i was so freekin close to him and even saw him. of course he has no idea i exist. ♥OH WELL

5. WTFMAGICISBULLSHIT says:

6. WTFMAGICISBULLSHIT says:

that show is so fake lol sitting fan thinks crss is hot hes just a white kid with black dyed hair whos trying to be goth aka.illusionist/magician, his tricks are the fakest crap ive ever seen. that voodu shit is no way real thats just a slap to religion.

7. mikey says:

Dude, I just love how people comment on here that his “magic” is so fake, blah blah blah. No freaking duh, it’s fake. The joy of magic is seeing something look sooooo real, that you don’t believe your eyes. Apparently, that concept is a bit over some people’s heads.

I also love the spam protection you have here. My question is, can you find out how many people get those simple math questions wrong? In an age where adults need only to be smarter than a 5th grader in order to win a million dollars, I don’t think it’d be a stretch to imagine that many people would NOT know what 1+3 is…

8. Midnight Chemist says:

The thing I don’t like about Criss is that he uses stooges alot. Magic is about skill, not about how much money you can spend on stooges / appartus. Sleight of hand requires skill, paying stooges and doing camera tricks doesn’t.

9. Natalie says:

Criss angle is so cool i always watch his show and i was there when he was in vegas on the prymid in the air i just think GOD gave it to him ……………………………..

10. Natalie says:

CRISS the elephant thing freaked me out but i belive that you have the powers to do that.AND i just wanted to say you’r cat is so cute tell him i said hi u have a million fans so does your cat

-natalie

11. Natalie says:

12. Natalie says:

email me Criss at myhomieisyou@yahoo.com

13. criss angle says:

THANKS GUY FOR COMMENTING I JUST CAME ON MY LABTOP TO SAY HI

14. criss angle says:

HI NATALIE I REMEMBER MEETING YOU AT VEGAS IN OCTOBER AND THANKYOU NINA MOYA

15. Priscilla says:

Hi criss am new at this,but i can tell you one thing i love your show. you can e-mail me at lovercatgirl@yahoo.com.your awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Priscilla says:

sorry it’s
    lovercatgirl@yahoo.com

17. Priscilla says:

Criss i hope your mom gets better, may god protect her.Also, i loved it when you went on the tower without even getting burned, to me you looked like an angel all in white.To bad i was not there.But us Jeresy peolpe still love you!!!!!!!And i like your cat, i love animals too!

18. je$$ic@ says:

hi criss i’m your # 1 fan I LOVE U !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! U R SO COOL AND I WANT TO LEARN MAGIC 2 . I WOULD LIKE 2 GO MEEET U ONE DAY BUT I DON’T HAVE MONEY TO GO TO VEAGAS. BUT I ALWAY WATCH YOUR SHOW U ARE SO COOL AND U R VERY CUTE . IF U CAN PLEASE WRITE BACK !!!!!!!!! chachalovesu@yahoo.com bye love u

19. je$$ic@ says:

to wtfmagicisbullshirt u r thef*c*ing bull shit u just wish u can be like him but u cant u r very stupid and if u dont like him y did u write 2 him if u dont have som ething nice 2 say dont say it !!!!!!!!!!!! puls he is soooooooooo much sexier than u !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ur a crack head sorry but u made me write this becauz u say mean things and if u want 2 write 2 me 2 tell me what u thing now !!chachalovesu@yahoo.com see ya sucker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Priscilla says:

Hey criss i now that you can win the dog{Dog the bounty hunter}. Just try your best, but it was not your fualt that leland and duane lee tied you up with to many nots.LOVE U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!please write back!

21. Priscilla says:

Hey criss i was wondering, how come you always go to big places.Your always in vegas or some were famous you should come to jersey city,cus thats were i live and if your nice may be you can viste my school at ps#39 and do some kind of trick for us.{like take off your shirt}:D please! well i’ll be waiting four a responds.ohh ya and tell dog i said hi!

22. natalie says:

i met criss at the luxor hotel i was the first fan to shake his hand there were more than 7,000 people waiting in line for his autograph it was really cool i have an autographed t-shirt and big big poster up in my room it was cool

23. mindfreakingirl says:

i luuuuuuuuuuv criss angel!!!!!!!!
    he so freakin rocks!!!!!!
    criss keep rockin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i loved the voodoo doll episode it was soooooooo freakin awesomely amaizing!
    ya hear me criss u rock u r sooooo better than davide blan!
    NOBODY can top you!!

YOU ARE #1criss please e-mail me monica_meza1@yahoo.com

24. mindfreakingirl says:

yall are just freakinly jelous of criss cuz he rocks and you lamos are nobodys and u guys are worthless and you guys dont mean anything to even your own parents.im disscusted.

25. mindfreakingirl says:

wtfmagic u r stupid u dont know what it takes to be like criss.
    LIKE YOU CAN BE BETTER THAN HIM!!!!!!!
    MORRON!!!!!!!!!!

mikey and midnight chemist u guys r sooooooo stupidly mean and jelous too like u guys can be better or like him yall dont know nothin about criss or dont know what its like or how hard it is to be criss so shut up and leave him alone!!!!!!!!

26. I I I I LOVE CRISS says:

i love criss what the fuck is the adding thing?

27. mindfreak+deathnote says:

OMG! criss angel is frigging awesome! love ya criss! :)